Friday, February 21, 2014

Having Harper

I got my biggest Christmas wish on time/early. I asked that Harper to be here before Christmas. My water broke at 12:01 Saturday December 21st, and had her almost 9 hours later at 8:58 am. (Two mins before visiting hours) even though it went fast in my mind it was long n tough. My Dad and Kathy Jaremy and my mom were with me through the whole thing. It got pretty scary when her heart beat would take a huge dip at times. It only got worse after my epidural. It took them 4 tries in the beginning just to give me IV fluids. They actually ended up blowing out three veins, until the fourth just had to go in my arm crease. The did that via catheter.

They had me on oxygen, epidural, internal fetal heart monitor (twice because they accidentally pulled it out) and a urine catheter, and amniotic-infusion. Not to mention they had me in the hands and knees position for most of my delivery process. Imagine not being able to feel your stomach and legs but having to kneel on your legs for 5+ hours. I had to breathe deeply every time her heartbeat dipped. Which usually was while I was having a contraction that I couldn't even feel. They talked to me about a possible c-section then came back and said they may be able to hold off unless her heartbeat dipped 3-4 more times. Which gave me maybe another 4 hours.

Unfortunately things didn't go as I hoped. They came in n told me I had to have a c section to save Harper's life because what was actually wrong was her umbilical cord was around her neck, my contractions were constricting the cord cutting off her oxygen supply. They suited Jaremy up and wheeled me down to the OR prepped me up and brought Jaremy in to sit at my head behind a big blue curtain he held my hand. The surgeon said here we go, cut me open and they struggled hard and worked very fast to get her out.

I felt no pain but felt pressure and tugging and pulling they got her head out cleared her nose and mouth then pulled her out the rest of the way. I didn't get to see her face right away which was okay with me I saw them cleaning her off then her her cry. I guess Jaremy brought her to me but I don't remember a lot because I was freaking out about chest pain. Which was just air that entered my abdomen. She was taken to the nursery and was given her first bath by Jaremy. Eventually I ended up in a recovery room.

I think I was asleep at some point because I don't remember the trip to the room. Then they gave me nasal oxygen and brought Harper in for me to hold her for the first time. My eyes were pretty blurry but I could make out Harper's face more than anything else. I don't even remember who was in the room when I held her. Everything was a bit foggy to me but as far as how Harper got here that's my end of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Respect bloggers. Please don't be a grammar Nazi.